[Bell Historians] Molding terminology

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Sun Aug 17 20:06:45 BST 2003

At 10:07 +0100 2003/08/17, Christopher Dalton
<dalton.family at v...> wrote (under the subject line
"Beverley/Downside Bourdon of 1900"):

>Moulding lines on bells also performed an important function when it came to
>placing the letters etc. of the inscription on the model (or 'dummy') bell.
>They helped to keep them in place and straight.

This is a fairly obvious matter when one considers lettering that is
placed either between a pair of lines in the shoulder band or just
below such lines. However, the first Stuckstede foundry of St.Louis
utilized this principle in a manner that I have not (yet) seen on any
other bells. A series of hair-fine notches in the strickle board for
the outer profile of the false bell produced a series of hair-fine
ridges which were utilized as the baselines for whatever custom
inscriptions the buyer had ordered. These fine lines were spaced
approximately 1.25" apart, and ran from just below the shoulder band
(if any) down to just above the conventional triple moulding lines
below the waist. Since the standard lettering which Stuckstede used
for such inscriptions was about 3/4" high, multi-line inscriptions
ended up with a nice vertical spacing.

These fine lines are obvious to the touch, as well as to the eye when
one is close to the bell. But from several yards/meters away they
are effectively invisible. They could have been removed by
polishing; but as far as I can determine, the first Stuckstede
foundry never polished its bells.

Someday I hope to find time to post on the Web some photographs which
illustrate this practice nicely.

Is there any evidence that any of the English bellfounders ever used
this sort of very fine moulding line purely for alignment of
lettering? If so, did they polish the lines off after the bell came
out of the mould, or leave them visible?

Carl