Pat Cannon at Poona

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Aug 20 08:02:51 BST 2003

Jim Phillips:

> A Patrick Canon once visited this tower during
> service in WW2 and managed to ring one of the bells
> up with an improvised rope.

I have heard this story, but about Lahore. I only have a very vague
memory of it and can't provide any provenance. Having seen Lahore, I
could imagine it was feasible. The church guide-book says the tower
swayed considerably when the bells were rung after installation,
implying they were rung full circle then.

> Has anyone got the records of APC who can
> verify this?

The Dorking ringers maintain(ed) some contact with his widow but it
feels to me to be a rather unimportant issue . . .

Poona (aka Puna) is on my list of 'must gets', I am looking for an
opportunity for a business trip out there.

Bill H