Joy Bells and Monster Meetings

jwalton22rg je.walton at v...
Thu Aug 21 19:35:48 BST 2003

I have been re-reading my notes on Irish founders from the 19th
century, notably John Murphy, to try to put into context his bell at
Wooburn in Buckinghamshire. I am very grateful to Jean Jeffrey for
searching the Irish Association archives for me some time ago to give
me the information I already have.

The connection between Dublin and Wooburn is a family one, though not
with Murphy. However, Murphy, a staunch catholic and nationalist,
went out of his way to cast a bell in 1868 devoid of his usual harp
and coronet motif, which makes it peculiar.

Looking back on the information I have, it says he cast six 'joy
bells' total weight c. 2 tonnes in 1843 for Clontarf (near Dublin)
which were to have been rung on the occasion of Daniel O'Connell's
Monster Meeting (rally) in the town on 8 October of that year. In
the event the rally was banned and O'Connell, a leading nationalist,
was convicted of conspiracy the following year.

Murphy's first bell (for Tuam) was cast the same year, so the
Clontarf bells would have been a major and significant undertaking.
Did they reach their destination and do they still exist? What
exactly was meant by the phrase 'joy bells' - is it a style of
ringing?

The Dublin connection may not have been the reason for getting an
Irish bell for Wooburn in 1868, as there was at least one prominent
Murphy bell in London, exhibited in 1851, thereafter the clock bell
at Euston - what became of it? Where there any others?

John