Perkins Institute for the Blind, Watertown, Mass. U.S.A.

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Thu Aug 21 21:45:35 BST 2003

Having 'stirred the coals' about Poona, does anyone have details
about why these bells were installed in the Institute for the Blind?
I rang on these bells in 1986 but by then peals had stopped. In 1994
I asked for permission to ring there again but permission was not
forthcoming. The Boston ringers considered that I had been extremely
lucky to have even got a reply. I remember them as being a pleasant
Whitechapel eight of the early C20 hung in plain bearings. I remember
that most of the huge louvres were shuttered. I passed the
magnificent tower again last summer on a bus tour. It stood adorned
in bright sunlight against a very dull and thunder cloud background.
Very impressive. When were they last rung?