definitions

David Bryant david at b...
Sat Aug 23 15:24:11 BST 2003

I've recently been trying to finish off surveying the bells in York (nearly
there now!), and Ive come across a number of bells which I have wondered how
do describe - ringing, swing chiming, etc.

Clearly, if it is hung for ringing and ringable this is no problem. If it
has a wheel and pulley and the roping is such that it allows it to be rung
full circle, then that too is ringing.

The problem comes with derelict rings with some of the fittings missing. I
recently inspected one where the floor beneath the frame had been replaced,
and there were no rope holes and the pulley had been removed. However, the
bells have stays and slider runners, so I designated them as hung for
ringing. My criteria for ringing as opposed to swing chiming bells seem to
have become dependant on whether the bell appears to be intended for full
circle ringing, so if it has the remains of ringing fittings then it is hung
for ringing.

What criteria do others use?