[Bell Historians] Valletta & variious

David Cawley dave at d...
Mon Aug 25 22:44:13 BST 2003

charset="Windows-1252"

I was shown - by the late Ernie Rowe, I think - some photos of Valetta. The=
y were in a traditional six bell frame on ringing headstocks with strap gud=
geons and plain bearings. The ropes were tied to the clappers and went over=
the ringing pulleys. The wheels had either been removed or had never been =
put on, but I classed them as an unringable ring. From what Jim says, they=
have been rehung since (How ? by whom ?)

Yes, JT & Co have been involved with some very large bells for Malta since =
the Siege Bell and have some more in hand at present.

There is no ring at St Dominic's.

G.A.D. wrote an interesting RW article on Colaba fairly recently (date, Geo=
rge ?)

On Lahore, Dave K is too modest. He prepared an excellent video, of which =
I have a copy. Taylor Bells in a massive C/I H-frame for 8, all fittings in=
cluding rollers there; all intact; floor beneath bells incomplete; Ellacomb=
e hammers. Percussion marks both sides of soundbow - almost equal, plus mar=
ks made by the Ellacombe, more pronounced after all these years. Tower loo=
ks in good order and of good construction.

More on weak and swaying towers later perhaps, but two points:
(1) CJP wrote an excellent account on Baldersby in the comic some years ago=
. Date, Chris ?

(2) Star Street. No, they didn't all have Doncaster canons; only the back f=
our. The front four were Angular. (Personal observation, RHD notes and CD'=
s photos).

DLC=20

----- Original Message -----=20