[Bell Historians] Re: Obscure questions of the week

David Bryant djb122 at y...
Thu Jan 9 09:45:09 GMT 2003

charset="US-ASCII"

Alan Hughes told me a couple of years ago that his Grandfather always
admired the Warner headstock design but would not consider copying it
till after thier demise. As the Liverpool bells were cast in 1938 - 39
could the headstocks date from that time. Is there a date on the
headstocks?

As I recall, Whitechapel headstocks aren't dated. The have 'Mears' or
'Whitechapel' on one side, and the first letter of the place name and
the bell number of the other. Now that you mention it, I suppose there
is a certain similarity to Warner cast iron stocks, in that both have
curved tops. As regards Liverpool, the job was interrupted by the war
(that's why Great George was cast by Taylor's - it wasn't possible to
have a furnace in London in operation for long enough to melt the metal
due to restrictions), and the fittings of the ringing bells are most
likely to be post-war. Looking at it from another angle, what's the
latest example of the earlier Whitechapel stocks that anyone knows of?