Newham-on-Severn, Glos

andrewmbull <a.bull@s...> a.bull at s...
Thu Jan 23 13:37:42 GMT 2003

Does anyone know anything about the mysterious ring of eight that
existed at Newnham-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, between 1889 and
1894 ? Bliss & Sharpe's Gloucestershire give plenty of details of the
Rudhall sixes preceeding this ring, and plenty of details until 1889,
when the six existing bells were recast and two trebles added.
However, only five years later, this ring of eight was replaced by
the heavier ring which hangs in the church to this day. There seems
to be no information at all on this mystery ocatve of 1889, who cast
them, who hung them, or why they were replaced only five years later.
The only information is that given in the report of the dedication of
the current bells in a local newspaper, which states that the 1889
ring had a total weight of 52 cwt 3 qrs.
I have enquired of Whitechapel, who have always been very helpful in
the past, if they had any details of bells scrapped when they
installed a new ring in 1894. List members may be interested in the
reply I recieved, from a Carolyn Baker at Whitechapel:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail of the 22nd January.

We shall be pleased to undertake the research that you request for the
sum of £30.00 plus VAT(£35.25) and for which we will search for up to
2
hours and submit our findings. If after 2 hours we feel that further
work is necessary we will seek your consent for further time and a pro
rata charge.

Yours faithfully
p.p.Whitechapel Bell Foundry Limited

Alan Hughes