[Bell Historians] Newham-on-Severn, Glos

David Cawley dave at d...
Thu Jan 23 14:48:40 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

In Warner's 1911 catalogue as 8 supplied by them, data sent to AMB

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: mailto:andrewmbull <a.bull at s...=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 1:37 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Newham-on-Severn, Glos

Does anyone know anything about the mysterious ring of eight that=20
existed at Newnham-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, between 1889 and=20
1894 ? Bliss & Sharpe's Gloucestershire give plenty of details of the=20
Rudhall sixes preceeding this ring, and plenty of details until 1889,=20
when the six existing bells were recast and two trebles added.=20
However, only five years later, this ring of eight was replaced by=20
the heavier ring which hangs in the church to this day. There seems=20
to be no information at all on this mystery ocatve of 1889, who cast=20
them, who hung them, or why they were replaced only five years later.=20
The only information is that given in the report of the dedication of=20
the current bells in a local newspaper, which states that the 1889=20
ring had a total weight of 52 cwt 3 qrs.=20
I have enquired of Whitechapel, who have always been very helpful in=20
the past, if they had any details of bells scrapped when they=20
installed a new ring in 1894. List members may be interested in the=20
reply I recieved, from a Carolyn Baker at Whitechapel:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail of the 22nd January.

We shall be pleased to undertake the research that you request for the
sum of =A330.00 plus VAT(=A335.25) and for which we will search for up to=
=20
2
hours and submit our findings. If after 2 hours we feel that further
work is necessary we will seek your consent for further time and a pro
rata charge.

Yours faithfully
p.p.Whitechapel Bell Foundry Limited

Alan Hughes

It seems I am not worthy any more!

Andrew Bull

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20