[Bell Historians] The last complete G&J ring

Richard Stevens rcstevens at l...
Fri Jan 31 07:36:39 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

During my ringing days at Croydon (1958-1968) I was always led to believe
that the last castings at the GJ Croydon Foundry was the eight at Cranleigh,
near Guildford. After that, Gj had their bells cast at Taylors to their own
specifications. This was purely on hearsay and I am happy to be proved
wrong.

Richard Stevens.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pickford [mailto:c.j.pickford at t...]
Sent: 30 January 2003 18:44
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] The last complete G&J ring

Going by dedication date, the last G&J jobs were as follows:

21/2/1954 Great Amwell, Herts (5) later augmented to six

18/4/1954 Great Amwell, Herts (1/6)

9/5/1954 Newcastle under Lyme (10)

22/5/1954 Stonham Aspal, Suffolk (10)

20/6/1954 Haynes, Beds. (5)

13/11/1954 Tuxford, Notts (1-2/8) Augmentation only

24/12/1954 Cranleigh, Surrey (8)*

?/?/1955 Wetherden, Suffolk (6)

?/?/1955 Stoke D'Abernon, Surrey (5)

?/?/1955 Goxhill, Lincs (6)*

26/6/1955 Calgary, Canada (3) later augmented to six and eight

8/7/1956 Calgary, Canada (6) later augmented to eight

24/2/1957 Addington, Surrey (6)

11/8/1957 Calgary, Canada (8)*. First rung 8/9/1957

If anyone can supply dedication dates to replace the ?s I'd be grateful.
Only those with *s are complete rings

CP