Tower Graffiti

RingingMatters at a... RingingMatters at a...
Mon Jul 7 21:51:57 BST 2003

Unfortunately I have nothing in the way of constructive information to impart
on this subject. However, it reminds me of an immaterial "discovery" I
accidently made recently.

Painted on the plasterwork of the ringing room at Kirkby Lonsdale (and
doubtless at several other churches), are the salutary `ringers' orders' shown
below. I have often wondered at the clumsy metre of the poem, which could so
easily be improved, but when it is printed ‘centred’ on thepage I am stuck by its
appropriate shape. Is this deliberate? I wonder!

The Ringers Orders
If to Ring you do come here
You must ring well with hand & Ear
Keep stroke & time & go not out
Or else You forfeit Without doubt
He that a Bell doth overthrow
Must pay his Groat before he go
He that rings with his Hat on
Must pay his Groat & so begone
He that rings with spur on heel
The same penalty he must feel
If an Oath you chance to swear
You forfeit Each two Quarts of beer
These lines are old they are not new
Therefore the Ringers must have their due
N.B.Any ringer entering a peal of six pays his shilling.

Malcolm Bland