[Bell Historians] bell from Lanark for sale on Ebay

Michael Childs mtchilds at y...
Wed Jul 30 17:28:34 BST 2003

response from the seller:

Hello Michael

Thanks for your enquiry

The Bell came from a church conversion.

The Makers/Casters are Mears and Stainbank of London

The Inscription Reads: (Some Parts illegible)

To the glory of God and to the sacred memory of the
rev d Thomas Stark disruption

This Bell is the gift of Miss Jessie

A.D 1898

See the following link for better pictures

Regards

Alan

http://www.powerwithin.freeserve.co.uk/Bell.html

--- "Alan J.Birney" <fartwell2000 at y...> wrote: >
--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David
> Bryant" <david at b...>
> wrote:
> > > Don't think JT ever cast any bells with
> Doncaster
> > > canons!
> >
> > Let's set this one straight - there are no such
> things
> as 'Doncaster
> > canons'. A Doncaster Head is a specific type of
> canon substitute
> invented by
> > Lord Grimthorpe and first used at Doncaster, hence
> the name. A
> Doncaster
> > head has four short, thick arms spaced at 90
> degrees to one
> another.
> > Taylor's, Warner's, and possibly others frequently
> used angular
> canons,
> > which I have sometimes seen erroneously desctibed
> as 'Doncaster
> canons'.
> > They're not!
> >

> I too have described "Doncaster heads" as
> Doncaster canons-and
> a look at several bell related sites also reveal
> that other people
> interested in bell history, etc have also done the
> same.
> If you were to use the term "Doncaster canons" when
> talking to a
> ringer round here, they would relate to the fact a
> bell(or bells)had
> canons/cannon derivatives of a certain type, but if
> you said a bell
> had a Doncaster head, they would probably not be
> aware of which part
> of a bell you were talking about.
> I would suggest that the term "Doncaster canons" is
> just as
> popular,if not more so than "Doncaster heads".
> At the end of the day, is it such a big deal that
> people dont use
> the term "Doncaster head"?
> Alan

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

=====
<P><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>Michael Childs </FONT></P>
<P><A href="mailto:mtchilds at y..."><FONT face="Arial Black" size=3>mtchilds at y...</FONT></A></P>