[Bell Historians] Doncaster Canons: Lord Grimthorpe speaks

David Cawley dave at d...
Wed Jul 30 17:43:00 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Now then boys. Here is a quote:

"First suppose a lump of metal.....cast on the top (of the bell).....with a=
round hole through it for the clapper-bolt.......From this lump there proj=
ect 4, not 6, canons, much thicker than usual.......These four short and th=
ick canons are moreover much stronger and less liable to crack than the usu=
al six thinner and longer ones".=20

The writer was Edmund Beckett Denison, M.A., Q.C. (later the first Lord Gri=
mthorpe). From A Rudimentary Treatise on Clocks, Watches and Bells, 4th Ed.=
, London 1860. He even put the word canons in italics the first time round=
.

So there!

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20