Low House, St Helens

grblundell at a... grblundell at a...
Tue Jun 10 15:26:52 BST 2003

Hi All

The following has appeared on the national Bell Historians list. Is anyone
able to confirm/deny Mr Hedgcock's account of the state of the inside of the
church? On the basis of my one visit (in 1999?) I was of the impression that the
inside was more or less as built, but my memory and grasp of architecture are
none too good, so I could well be wrong.

Cheers

Giles

<< Message: 4
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:45:58 -0000
From: "jimhedgcock" <jameshedgcock at h...>
Subject: Re: Clock Chimes - information and requests for details

Pleased to hear that the Lowe House Carillon is still in use. I
always had fears that if the church knew the value of what is in the
tower they would dispose of the bells. However, I am recently
assured that safeguards to protect the bells from future sale were
put into covenants at the time of their installation.
The interior of the church was gutted a number of years ago. There
were pneumatic drills breaking up the Italian marble High Altar and
lorries coming out of the West Door were taking it to the tip!!!!!
The Jesuits, the former priests of the parish, must have been turning
in their graves.---