[Bell Historians] (unknown)

zen16073 at z... zen16073 at z...
Fri Mar 14 13:51:48 GMT 2003

Djb122uk <djb122 at y...> wrote :

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com,
> &lang=en">zen16073 at z...>
> wrote:
> > I found an advert for Warners in the Clergy List for 1856.
> Apparently they made sheep bells too, which seems odd for a London
> foundry. I had always thought that such bells were made locally until
> the fashion for nails suspended in tin cans took on.
>
> I recently saw a framed copy of a Warner advertisement (given to David
> Potter by the inimitable Mr Pladdys), and this advertised various
> wares which they made. Toilets and 'plumbers cocks' featured, amongst
> other items!

There's a glorious L& J Catalogue at Blaise Castle House Museum, Bristol. Bells occupy only one section, but that has headers and footers advertising such wares as: Improved closet Regulators; Sheet Zinc;Californian Dwarf Pumps;Black Tin and Argand Burners. The final sheet of my photocopy shows a very solid-looking garden fork, so presumably they made garden tools too.
AW