[Bell Historians] Taylor borders

David Cawley dave at d...
Wed Mar 19 21:57:15 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Regarding the loss of the old Glastonbury bells: yes, they were difficult t=
o ring and yes, they did place unacceptable strains on the magnificent mult=
i-pinaccled tower hung where they were. Rehanging was imperative, and at a=
lower level. It would have been quite possible to do so had they been hun=
g in a properly designed two-tier frame. I understand that the wish was to=
reduce the weight and to hang the bells on one level (or to hang the bells=
on one level and therefore to have to reduce the weight). The result is a=
very ordinary ring, which go reasonably well, which obviously do not affec=
t the structure so severely and which in my view are quite out of keeping w=
ith the impressive tower in which they hang.

My first acquaintance with St John's bells was on a Glastonbury pilgrimage;=
they used to sound the Glastonbury quarters clearly across the town and th=
e Abbey site. Now all one hears is the odd "ding" or the occasional "dong"=
. More recently they were rung for the Pilgrimages, and what a sound it wa=
s, with masses of worshippers in the High Street and in and around the chur=
ch. Now they don't ring for Pilgrimages (theological reasons) but the pres=
ent "ordinary" ring could never make the impression the old ones did, chime=
d or rung.

Chris Dalton cites the case of Avebury, where in fact the 19-cwt tenor of f=
ive only survived because it was cast by Richard Phelps who came originally=
from the village. The 5-cwt (well 4-2-20) six are pretty enough and indeed=
the old bells were said to be unringable, but with hindsight it would have=
been far better to stick two fingers up at the then prevailing fad for sav=
ing money by selling heavy bells to pay for light ones (yes, I know we had =
a 3-cwt six at Whitstable, but we were not replacing a 17th-century five). =
Avebury, a World Heritage Site, of all places, should have kept its histor=
y, not melted it.

DLC

=20
----- Original Message -----=20