[Bell Historians] Taylor borders

David Cawley dave at d...
Wed Mar 19 21:28:36 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

The term JT use is "vine-leaf border" or "vine trail"
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Susan Dalton=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Taylor borders

Looks like Taylors' vine to me.

Not sure what all the recent correspondence about the (in my view,
pernicious) practice about making heavy rings lighter has to do with bell
history! But my pennyworth would be to ask what people think of the
scrapping of the 19 cwt 17th century ring of 5 (apart from the 18th centu=
ry
tenor which was kept as a clock bell) and the substitution of a 4 cwt rin=
of 6 in a large and handsome 15th century Wiltshire tower of my
acquaintance.

When my brain is working better in the morning I will concoct a reply to
someof the recent references to Llewellins and James (Broughton Gifford,
East Ardsley et al). What I can say without reference to my notes is that
the former 7th at Glastonbury St John was cast by the same unknown founde=
as Yeovilton tenor, a bell at Cherington in Glos, and the back 3 at Lamph=
ey
in Pembrokeshire. It was the lighter and earlier Llewellin bell that was
cast for Peter Llewellin at Whitechapel.

Christopher Dalton

----------
>From: "David Bryant" <djb122 at y...>
>To: "Bell Historians" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [Bell Historians] Taylor borders
>Date: Wed, Mar 19, 2003, 4:12 pm
>

> My botanical knowlege is severely limted, so can someone tell me what t=
he
> border in the attached photo is? I've got another one to identify too, =
when
> I can find the photo.
>
> David
>

> This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To
> unsubscribe from the list send an email to
> bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com

s/

>=20

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20