[Bell Historians] Blews bells

A Willis zen16073 at z...
Thu May 22 13:51:15 BST 2003

Very keen to hear of any Birmingham-cast bells anywhere, please.

Blews cast four bells for chiming at Trowbridge St Thomas in 1869/70. The
Trowbridge and North Wilts Advertiser carried a long article on 19th
February 1870 on the new church of St Thomas which was to be consecrated on
the 24th February. The Rector was to be the Rev. Horace Meyer. The article
includes the following;
. . . In the spire is a small peal of four bells from the foundry of Messrs
Blews of Birmingham. They are beautiful in tone and in the distance have a
most pleasing effect. They are chimed by machinery in the church.

>From WSRO 1054/22 Churchwardens' accounts of St Thomas, Trowbridge.

1870 - 1880 George Sheppard rang the bells for ?1. 5. 0 a quarter.

Summary Easter 1918 - Easter 1919

Bellringer	?5 0 0
repairing bellropes etc	}
removing paint from windows}	?7/9/4

I believe only one bell is left, but if you want further details, I could
contact one of the clergy there.
AW