[Bell Historians] Jeffries and Price

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Thu Oct 30 11:09:30 GMT 2003

Andrew.Marchant at d... writes:

> Can anyone tell me anything about the Bristol founders Jeffries &Price? I
> was speaking to my father at the weekend and he was asking me about them. We
> got onto the subject of them because of the single 5cwt bell at Kenn near
> Clevedon, Somerset, which he told me is a J&P bell of 1815.

The bell at Kenn is by William Jefferies in 1815, not Jefferies & Price -
they came later. The 2nd at Cloford, Somerset is dated 1854 by J&P. There was
another bell by them at Vobster - the inscritions on their small bells being
just:

J & P

There is a complete octave by W Jefferies, dated 1835/6 at St Matthew,
Kingsdown. I am pretty sure this was his only complete ring.

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,
Jasmine Cottage,