[Bell Historians] RE: Research Project

john.ketteringham john.ketteringham at n...
Thu Oct 30 16:38:57 GMT 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Of particular interest is the 7th at Droitwich, St Andrew, also inscribed as
above. It was cast in 1645 by John Martin, of Worcester, during the Civil
War and at a time when, according to Walters (Church Bells of
Worcestershire) "..there being hardly another existing bell in England cast
in that year."

David Beacham

When I was researching for my MPhil I examined the existing records of bells
cast during the period `634-1664 in five of the counties then in the Diocese
of Lincoln (Lincoln, Hertfordshire, Leicester, Bedford and Buckingham. I
have appended the following summary for those who might be interested :

1634 22; 1635 16; 1636 30; 1637 19

The first Bishop’s War (1638)
1638 20; 1639 9

The second Bishop’s War (1640)
1640 8

The Grand Remonstrance (1641)
1`641 8
First Civil War (1642-1645)
1642 5; 1643 1; 1644 1; 1645 0; 1646 0; 1647 1
Second Civil War (1648)
1648 2
Execution of the King (1649)
1649 5; 1650 1; 1651 5; 1652 12.
Cromwell appointed Protector (1653)
1653 7; 1654 20; 1655 9; 1656 16; 1657 5
Death of Cromwell (1658)
1658 16; 1659 4
Restoration of the Monarchy (1660)
1660 8; 1661 11; 1662 15; 1663 15; 1664 15.