'Pretty' steel bells (was Layout of information)

jwalton22rg je.walton at v...
Mon Sep 15 16:02:04 BST 2003

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...>
wrote:
> Or, more generally, 'character' is a good one. I also know a ringer
who
> would describe bells as 'pretty', much to the amusement of those in
the
> know, who were aware that what he actually meant was 'pretty crap'.

I'm sure that many authors will have committed their thoughts to
paper on the subject of Naylor Vickers creations. Cocks has this to
say about Thornborough (5) and Waddesdon (6) in his 1897 Church Bells
of Buckinghamshire (p264):

"... revolting looking objects - nearly the whole surface of every
bell scaling off in large, bright red scabs of rust. Let us hope
that nothing short of the removal of their miserable remains from the
towers, will check this process of disintegration, and that happy day
may come when these churches may once more possess sweet-toned bells
of bell metal."

Just in case he hadn't made himself clear he added this (p592):

"In my humble opinion steel church bells are an abomination that
ought to be prohibited by Act of Parliament!"

Can't see anyone being prepared to write in such strong terms today,
but how did other Victorian authors describe Sheffield's finest?
Have any other founders received such treatment?

John