[Bell Historians] 'Pretty' steel bells (was Layout of information)

David Cawley dave at d...
Mon Sep 15 19:28:08 BST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Possibly not, but there was a pretty full article (including those quotes) =
entitled "Colonel Tom and his Cast Steel Bells" a couple of years ago in th=
e RW

By yours truly DLC
----- Original Message -----=20
From: jwalton22rg=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 4:02 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] 'Pretty' steel bells (was Layout of informatio=
n)

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <david at b...>=20
wrote:
> Or, more generally, 'character' is a good one. I also know a ringer=20
who
> would describe bells as 'pretty', much to the amusement of those in=20
the
> know, who were aware that what he actually meant was 'pretty crap'.

I'm sure that many authors will have committed their thoughts to=20
paper on the subject of Naylor Vickers creations. Cocks has this to=20
say about Thornborough (5) and Waddesdon (6) in his 1897 Church Bells=20
of Buckinghamshire (p264):

"... revolting looking objects - nearly the whole surface of every=20
bell scaling off in large, bright red scabs of rust. Let us hope=20
that nothing short of the removal of their miserable remains from the=20
towers, will check this process of disintegration, and that happy day=20
may come when these churches may once more possess sweet-toned bells=20
of bell metal."

Just in case he hadn't made himself clear he added this (p592):

"In my humble opinion steel church bells are an abomination that=20
ought to be prohibited by Act of Parliament!"

Can't see anyone being prepared to write in such strong terms today,=20
but how did other Victorian authors describe Sheffield's finest?=20=20
Have any other founders received such treatment?

John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

This message was sent to you via the Bell Historians' Mailing List. To un=
subscribe from the list send an email to bellhistorians-unsubscribe at yahoogr=
oups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.=20