Rudhall rings

djb122uk david at b...
Fri Apr 2 11:32:31 BST 2004

> The Rudhall lists shows that they cast a number of complete rings
of which very few survive intact - the 1704 list claims one ring of
ten (Warwick - actually two dates as they were supplied as an eight
and augmented very soon afterwards)

As I recall - three bells of this ring survive, the present 5th, 6th
and 9th. The tenor is by Thomas Mears and the rest by Taylor's.

> But the earliest surviving complete ring would seem to be Worfield
(a Rudhall six of 1699) followed by Quatt (1700)

I believe I'm correct in thinking that the first known complete
Rudhall ring; a five at Oddington, Glos, of which one bell (4th of
the present six) survives - isn't this the oldest known Rudhall bell?
Two other bells, predecessors of the 2nd and 5th, survived until the
bells were restored by Whitechapel in 1973, when they were recast
with facsimile inscriptions.

Frederick Sharpe suggested a link between the Rudhalls and the
Purdues on account of the design of these early Rudhall bells. Has
any concrete evidence to this effect been found?