[Bell Historians] Council for the Conservation of Bellfoundries (CCB)

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Wed Apr 28 19:01:02 BST 2004

>From: "A Willis" <zen16073 at z...>
>To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Council for the Conservation of Bellfoundries
(CCB)
>Date: Wed, Apr 28, 2004, 5:58 pm
>
> Transport costs counted even in the 20th century. There were quotes for
> re-hanging Heytesbury in the 1920's from Gillett & Johnston, Taylors and
> Whitechapel. The Taylor's quote was about £50 more which I think may
> reflect the greater cost of transport from Loughborough to Wiltshire at the
> time. Gillett & Johnston and Whitechapel could have easily used the Southern
> railway. I think Whitechapel got the job because they agreed to supply a
> wooden frame. Metal ones were held in deep suspicion in this part of the
> world for a long time.
>
> Anne Willis

Two points here. The first is (sorry, Anne!) that the railway line between
Westbury and Salisbury, on which Heytesbury lies, was Great Western not LSWR
(later Southern). The second is that both Taylors and G & J at that time
could and would supply timber frames if requested. I guess M & S got the
job simply because they were the cheapest.

At all events Heytesbury bells were taken away at the time, chiefly for
re-tuning purposes. Fitting new stocks, drilling out cast-in staples, etc.
can be done in the tower if necessary; re-tuning generally not!

C D