Coventry.

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Apr 29 16:08:09 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jim phillips" <jim at p...>
wrote:
> DrL
> > Coventry, St Michael. Peal tested May 6th. 1926
> > 10th 157 277 341 449 558
> > etc
> > Over to you Bill.
> >
> > DrL
>
> RO wrote
> >Look like a fairly bog standard old ten to me! Although the
> >fundamentals and fifths of the back bells are far better in tune
than
> >many I've seen, which must have helped them to be a bit above
> >average. Probably another case of the tower offering lots of
help!

> How do we know these figures are correct? Were they independently
checked?
> After all Croydon said the Thos. Lester Bow tenor of 1738 was
cracked when
> it clearly was not. Knowing the late Bert Hughes, who had spent a
whole day
> going over the 1738 bell with paraffin and chalk, I believe Bert
Hughes.

We can assume that they are correct from the bells that can still be
checked. Gillett's tuning books are as accurate as the tuning fork
they used to take the measurements - in other words pretty
accurate.

Bear in mind that, when the foundry was in operation, these books
were 'top secret' and only ever available to a selected few
employees, so there was nothing to be gained by keeping inaccurate
records. It was only some of the firm's public statements that were
of dubious quality!