[Bell Historians] Bags of spanners

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Tue Aug 3 04:48:11 BST 2004

Wish I'd known about the chime at Kouvola a few weeks ago--I spent
two hours on the station platform waiting for a train north to see
the bells of Vaskikello. The weather was fine, and I could probably
have walked to the council office and back in that time, though from
the station I didn't hear any clock strikes.

The next day, I heard the two bells of the cathedral in Kuopio, and I
would have to say that your description would fit their sound as
well. The interval between them was a vague approximation to a major
third. I did find out that these two bells were cast at different
times around the middle of the 19th c., which wasn't a particularly
good time for bells anywhere in the world.

I think there are no bellfoundries left in Finland any more, except
for the new one at Vaskikello, where they don't make anything larger
than about 20 kg.

Part of the answer to your question may lie in the fact that Finland
has been influenced by the Orthodox tradition of Russia, wherein
collections of un-tuned bells are rung in rhythmic patterns totally
unrelated to western melody. What sounds to our ears like "a bad
accident in a metal works" might actually be very pleasing to someone
raised in the eastern tradition. Mind you, I'm not trying to defend
that sound--just to suggest an alternative viewpoint. But
bellfounders working under that tradition would have had no incentive
to "improve" the sound of their bells according to western standards.

Carl

_____