[Bell Historians] Fw: Sanctus and Angelus bells

Anne Willis zen16073 at z...
Wed Aug 11 14:47:59 BST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: David Beacham [mailto:david1.beacham at v...]
Sent: 11 August 2004 14:25
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Fw: Sanctus and Angelus bells

> The sounding of a sanctus bell at points during a service of the Mass is
> practised in both Roman Catholic and Anglo-Catholic places of worship, but
> am not sure what is considered to be the correct "form" (i.e. 3x3 or
> whatever) for their usage. Can someone please explain at what points
during
> the service a sanctus bell should be rung? I should add that I am thinking
> in terms of a tower bell, to be heard outside, and not the various forms
of
> handbell chimes or gongs that may be sounded inside the church at points
> during the liturgy.

At Holy Trinity, Bradford on Avon the Sanctus bell is rung after the
Prayers of Consecration. The pre-reformation habit was to ring the bell
before those Prayers.

The 1547 injunctions utterly forbade the ringing of bells during Sunday
services, except 'one bell in convinient time to be rung or knolled before
the sermon', which was probably intended to silence the sanctus bell. I
don't know when the habit was re-introduced, (?as a result of the Oxford
Movement) or even if it is strictly legal.

Anne Willis

Yahoo! Groups Links