[Bell Historians] Fw: Sanctus and Angelus bells

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Aug 11 14:57:46 BST 2004

> The 1547 injunctions utterly forbade the ringing of bells during Sunday
> services, except 'one bell in convinient time to be rung or knolled before
> the sermon', which was probably intended to silence the sanctus bell. I
> don't know when the habit was re-introduced, (?as a result of the Oxford
> Movement) or even if it is strictly legal.

Not a subject I know much about, but there are what certainly appear to be sanctus bells of seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth century date at various places.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/