Minor peals

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Fri Feb 13 17:50:25 GMT 2004

Dickon:

> Perhaps then through the collective knowledge of
> this list we could run through the list of "minor
> rings" in Dove and come up with the correct
> descriptions.

There will be some which are unclassifiable. One of my favourites is
Gidleigh, Devon. The five bells have nominal notes Eb - 27, D - 10,
C - 13, B - 33, A - 7. Following the approach David took in his
paper, the intervals from tenor upwards are very roughly: tone,
semitone, tone, semitone. This doesn't correspond to any mode at all,
I don't think. One could attempt to force them into a classification,
but the historically accurate description is a set of bells which
have not been tuned together.

The bells are a 'must get' for anyone who hasn't been there: lovely
setting, good go, and quite distinctive sound.

Bill H