[Bell Historians] A rather short transfer!

David Bryant david at b...
Fri Jul 2 23:23:19 BST 2004

> I am sure that there are a
> few instances where bells have been transferred to a lower position
> in a tower to improve the go. Can't think of an example immediately.
> Can anybody ?

Yes, lots. Bishops Lydeard (Som), Colesbourne (Glos), Derby St Luke (en earlyish example of this - 1920s), Langford Budville (Som) - lots more if I thought about it.

Note that especially nowadays isn isn't necessarily done to improve the 'go' (although it often is). Sometimes it is to allow a historic frame to be left in situ. The other alternative (especially with short towers) is to lift the old frame up and put it on RSJs beneath the roof (e.g. Isle Abbotts, Somerset).

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/