A rather short transfer!

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue Jul 6 15:59:57 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester" <mike at m...>
wrote:
> From the ANZAB website
>
> St John's, Brisbane
>
> The bells of St John's Cathedral Brisbane were rung for the first
> time tonight (Tuesday 1st June) in their new location in the
central
> tower. The bells have waited for around 100 years to finally make
it
> to their intended home.
>
> First impressions, hot off the press, are extremely positive. The
> sound is wonderful, and the challenges that were formerly well
known
> to ringers of St John's have almost all disappeared.
>
> The ringing room is still under construction, but it is hoped that
> things will be operational within one month, and fully completed
> within three months. (From Emma Hadfield).
>

> Question
>
> This is the shortest distance a ring has been transferred? Discuss.
>

> Mike

Just back from 5 computerless days in Victoria!

I can't think of anywhere that the bells have travelled a shorter
distance. This is, of course, the third location that the back
eight has been in within the Cathedral grounds, as they were
originally hung for chiming in the churchyard.

At present the ring must rank as one of the only ones in the world
that is completely open to the elements: they are currently hung on
the roof of the incomplete tower. However, I understand a temporary
structure is to be built round them in the near future.

Unlike the previous steel (felt more like rubber!) tower in which the
ring was hung, I gather the present tower moves 0.09 mm when all ten
are rung ...I wish St George's Cathedral Tower, Perth would take a
leaf out of this tower's book and learn to sway less ...we are hoping
that that nice Mr Dempster will teach it some manners in the very
near future!