Cast maker's plates from Mears & Stainbank.

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at y...
Sat Jul 3 08:06:04 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "philholtsdgr"
<pippolucas23 at a...> wrote:
> At my home tower,Holt, Wiltshire, we have a bell-metal? founders
> plate which was discovered in the bell-chamber, and is now
displayed
> in the ringing chamber. It reads "MEARS AND STAINBANK BELL-
FOUNDERS,
> WHITECHAPEL RD.,LONDON", the background being green, and was
> obviously supplied when the bells were re-cast in 1925.
> Four questions. Are plates like these common? Were they peculiar to
> Whitechapel? Are they in fact bell-metal? & was the background
always
> green?
> Phil Lucas

Some 15-20 years ago (when I was very ignorant of bell archeology- It
was a case of of look to see how many bells there were in a tower and
not record anything), I came across one in a North Yorkshire three
bell tower- Possibly Ramsgill (nr Ripon).
Mr Aspland may have been there and if so can possibly confirm or
deny this.

Alan