Edenbridge & Wrotham

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu Jun 3 23:48:48 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hibbert" <bill at h...>
wrote:
> Dickon:
>
> > What do people think of this form of presentation
>
> I think it is very clear, it shows the tuning well for those of us
> who think in pictures. Three comments:
> * I can't imagine where you got the Pythagorian tuning from, I
don't
> know of any sensible attempt to tune in this mode, it sounds vile!
> * I think you are wrong in saying the human ear can detect anything
> over 20 Hz, the theoretical figure is 10 cents (not Hz) but one can
> often get away with more than this
> * If you have time / inclination, it's worth including the
> superquint and octave nominal as well, their compatibility across
> the peal is a good clue to whether the peal was 'designed' or
> just 'cast'.
>
> Small points though, I think this graphical presentation works.
>
> Bill H

I agree, it's a very clear way of showing tuning analysis in a manner
that should be accessible to many.

Much of the data Dickon has analysed so far has come from various
tuning books which do not record those partials above the nominal,
but this would be good to do where the figures are available.

I have also suggested to Dickon that, where bells are tuned 'old
style', showing the horizontal datum line for the hums as an octave
could be slightly misleading. The fact that the hum notes are not
two octaves below the nominals does not necessarily mean that the
bells are badly tuned. More important is that they are in a
consistent relationship to the nominals throughout the peal.

Well done Dickon!

Richard