William Starmer

MikeOrme at a... MikeOrme at a...
Thu Mar 4 14:45:58 GMT 2004

We have a ringer in Congleton / Macclesfield who also repairs/refurbishes the
more expensive and Older Long Case type of clock, he also has more than a
passing interest in Tower Clocks and Bells, he has passed on to me a copy of a
letters page in "Clocks" magazine and has asked if via the net I could gather
further information.

A letter from Peter Jordan of Bourneville refers to a William Wooding
Starmer, it reports he lectured in campanology at Birmingham University, it also
states it was he who recommended John Taylor's foundry to George Cadbury to
produce the 22 bell 1906 carillon of which apparently only one bell survives in the
present 48 bell Bourneville instrument. It also mentions Harry Withers having
made with the help of HMV in 1915
a 78 rpm recording, copies of which Bourneville holds.

Apparently during February 1927 Starmer delivered four lectures on
Campanology at the University, the one on the 16th specifically about the carillon.
Bourneville has looked in a number of sources for published notes or a transcript
of this lecture, but without success.

They are, I quote "very keen to obtain a copy (original or otherwise)
for our archives here in Bourneville"

Can anyone on this list help ? and what do we know about this man, did he
also for instance lecture on change-ringing as part of his lecture series ? I
cannot recall having read about him in the "RW"

CMO