[Bell Historians] William Starmer

Chris Povey cmpovey at 3...
Thu Mar 4 23:26:39 GMT 2004

> Can anyone on this list help ? and what do we know about this man, did
he
> also for instance lecture on change-ringing as part of his lecture series
? I
> cannot recall having read about him in the "RW"
>
> CMO

See 'Master of My Art; the Taylor Bellfoundries 1784-1987' by Trevor
Jennings, especially chapter 8. Apparently Starmer had been 'exalted to the
status of Professor of Campanology at Birmingham University - or so he
claimed.' And '...John William II had told Sir Arthur Heywood that Starmer
'does not understand anything about change ringing, and I doubt if he even
cares anything about change-ringing'.'

Trevor's book is worth reading anyway.

Chris Povey