[Bell Historians] Re: Seage's apparatus

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Fri Mar 5 13:51:54 GMT 2004

nickwbowden at f... writes:

> Depends, I suppose! There is a requirement that towerbell peals be
> >audible outside the building in which they are rung. Open a window
> >and get someone to listen very carefully?!!
>
> What about mini-rings? Do they have to be audible outside to count?
> Nick

We had this come up regarding peals at The Hartley 12, Southampton (in their
original location). If you climbed out the window of the adjoining room onto
the flat roof above the union bar, the bells could be clearly heard. As far as
I can tell, this counts as being "outside" the building.

I actually did this with several others, to prove the point one evening, and
eventually ended up being stuck out on the roof when the window blew shut!

They are easily heard outside of their new home (new college chapel).

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Company Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers,
Jasmine Cottage,