[Bell Historians] RE: Multiple Ringers

David Bryant david at b...
Sat Mar 20 19:30:12 GMT 2004

> Wouldn't the 2nd rope come off the wheel the other side with its own
garter
> hole and pulley and one rope does the backstroke while the other one does
> the handstoke and vice-versa

Yeah - you imagine being the one on the opposite stroke to everybody else!
I've seen the bell, and although I didn't look specifically I didn't notice
any evidence for anything like this. Surely they must have got the ropes off
the same side for it to work, or possibly spliced one in immediately below
the ceiling. I just can't see how you could have two separate ropes going
through the same pulley box without them getting tangled sooner of later and
making the bell very difficult.