[Bell Historians] Light rings (was 4-cwt eights)

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 30 15:49:51 BST 2004

> Presumably to slow them down a bit.
>
> Is this why, in quite a number of Taylor's larger rings, it is hard
> work to strike the little bells over the large ones (and for the
> tenors to have to pull off in front of the trebles in order to strike
> over them). Compared to Leighton Buzzard, for instance, the trebles
> at Canterbury are a doddle to ring and strike properly (I've rung
> peals on the treble at both)!

But does it slow them down? York Minster trebles were hung right out with flange tops, and David Potter had them cut off to slow the bells down. I find the trebles at Leeds, which are hung out with large timber blocks betweenbell and headstock, rather too fast.

David
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime