[Bell Historians] Light rings (was 4-cwt eights)

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue Mar 30 16:05:36 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:

> > Presumably to slow them down a bit.
> >
> > Is this why, in quite a number of Taylor's larger rings, it is
hard
> > work to strike the little bells over the large ones (and for the
> > tenors to have to pull off in front of the trebles in order to
strike
> > over them). Compared to Leighton Buzzard, for instance, the
trebles
> > at Canterbury are a doddle to ring and strike properly (I've rung
> > peals on the treble at both)!
>
> But does it slow them down? York Minster trebles were hung right
out with flange tops, and David Potter had them cut off to slow the
bells down. I find the trebles at Leeds, which are hung out with
large timber blocks between bell and headstock, rather too fast.

> David

If I remember correctly (and it's now a VERY long time since I've
done any serious engineering - or bell hanging come to that!),
hanging bells out speeds them up until an optimum point is reached,
after that they slow down - longer pedulum = slower swing, etc. I
think I'm right in saying that quite a number of mini-rings have the
bells hung right out (looking at the pictures on Matthew Higby's web
site confirms this) for this very reason.