Taylor treble profiles

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed Mar 31 10:13:28 BST 2004

RO:

>> Did Taylor's really have a variable bell shape for
>> the convenience of hanging

DJB:
> Their trebles of the 1880s and early 1890s were
> clearly designed for hanging considerations

I have seen examples of this in smaller peals as well (e.g. Poynton,
a six). What they did not consider at the time was the effect this
had on tonal quality, as we know.

What the founders can do nowadays is produce bells with different
profiles (long, short, etc.) for various positions in the ring
without affecting tuning of the low five partials, which I think is a
clever trick indeed.

Bill H