Re: [Bell Historians] Light rings  and Tower Accoustics

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Wed Mar 31 11:25:27 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> > > Did Taylor's really have a variable bell shape for the
convenience of
> > > hanging in the 1920s? ...surely not!
> >
> > They were evolving the profiles at that time, and this is
especially noticeable in the trebles of twelves. Compare Redcliffe,
Shrewsbury, York and Worcester - all visiibly different.

> p.s. Their trebles of the 1880s and early 1890s were clearly
designed for hanging considerations, being very long waisted. Taunton
(3&4 of 12), Imperial Institute, Newcastle, are all examples.
Redcliffe trebles are also very long-waisted, and have tall purdue-
shaped crowns. Clearly they are this shape because of hanging
considerations.

> David

Shrewsbury trebles are a bit like that too ... but are we sure it was
for hanging considerations and not just part of the tonal evolution -
perhaps Andrew Higson can tell us?