[Bell Historians] Re: Menangle

David Bryant david at b...
Thu May 6 10:41:43 BST 2004

> Subject : Re: [Bell Historians] Re: Menangle
> I never saw tenor or treble - they were already out there. 2,4 & 5 were tuned at WBF and then sent here and a new 3rd was cast and tuned here. The 2nd was a M&S 1958 bouy bell with a frilly edge and equally frilly harmonics, the 4th was from Doddiscombsleigh that we sold to GAD for a local project that ended up via London back here, JT 1961 and the 5th was a T Mears bell of 1806 that had been well gouged, so I guess it must have been the treble of an eight to need that amount of metal out of it. Treble WBF 1974 and tenor J Rudhall 1823.

Did you provide all the framework & fittings? Does anybody have a complete set of weights for them?

The 5th came from Albrighton (Shropshire) - I do know that much. It was the treble of six and was over-weight so was replaced when the bells were augmented to eight. I believe it was sold with its headstock - an early cast iron one by Barwell. Anyone know what happened to this?

Is there any reason why some work was carried out by one foundry and some by the other? It seems an unusual situation.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/