[Bell Historians] Heythrop, Oxon, and Albrighton, Shropshire

Susan Dalton dalton.family at v...
Fri May 7 09:02:22 BST 2004

"jimhedgcock" <jameshedgcock at h...> :

> I do not wish to denigrate Nick Bowden's inspection in any way. I
> merely indicated that much of the detail was available elsewhere in
> Sharpe, and updated quite recently by Ranald. At one time I enthused
> about inspections too. I only wish now that I had kept detailed
> records in addition to the data published in RW.

And I in turn don't want to denigrate Fred Sharpe's books; but one problem
with them is that generally he only gives the diameter of the largest bell.

Incidentally, I think there is limited usefulness in reprinting books, or
putting them onto CD, unless some revision/updating is done at the same
time. Berkshire was revised before reprinting but Wiltshire (which I am
working on now) annoyingly wasn't.

We had a pleasant ring at Heythrop in 1979 before the tenor wheel was
(sadly) replaced by a lever. Like all T C Lewis's (not very many) bells,
they are beautiful castings with quite interesting tuning. And while the
bells now at Kingsbury may be a maiden eight, not all Lewis's bells were:
he had a tuning machine and used it quite extensively on two of the Heythrop
bells.

Re Albrighton, this was a Barwell and not a Greenleaf job in 1901: having
visited, and checked the Bell News reference, I am confident about this.
Barwells installed one of their typical composite frames (for 8). All 6
bells existing in 1980 had Barwells' iron stocks.

C D