[Bell Historians] Re: Bowell

LOVE, Dickon dickon.love at a...
Tue May 25 12:21:53 BST 2004

"The only way to tell will be to test them, but Smarden are certainly
a cut above any other bells of his I've rung on. In the days when I
rang there regularly, my ear was pretty well practiced at picking out
the harmonics in a bell, so I'm inclined to think that they are
probably nearer to true-harmonic than most of his work."

Smarden are indeed a superb sounding ring of bells and people are generally
surprised to hear that they are Bowell. How much of this is tower acoustics
though remains to be seen.

There is a recording (albeit not the best quality) on:
http://kent.lovesguide.com/sound/smarden.mp3

NB The inscriptions on the Smarden page in CBofK are not entirely accurate,
but I haven't loaded the amendment yet (before anyone mentions it).

DrL

from any virus transmitted.