[Bell Historians] St Dunstan-in-the-East & St Stephen Rosslyn Hill

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Wed Nov 3 13:29:22 GMT 2004

charset="UTF-8"

I have 2nd 6-2-18 and 4th 8-0-11 (scource: The Bellmaster).

Present weights of the treble & 3rd (5 and 6 at Gospel Oak) 4-2-16 and 6-0-=
14.

I did a report on these bells at the request of the CCC / London DAC in 198=
2. From what I recall, they were very much 8 + 2 and I believe the two treb=
les arrived after the 8. I did urge that every reasonable effort should be =
made to save them for use elsewhere. They were quite ringable as they hung,=
but at risk in a much vandalized church.=20

There were serious thoughts as to how and where the bells might be re-used =
as a ring, and these were seriously followed up in three places. One withdr=
ew as it got its bells from elsewhere; another on structural grounds, leavi=
ng one. The problem which then arose was that the parish kept upping the p=
rice. The three largest bells were scrapped early in 1987; the remainder su=
rvived until 1993, when two were tuned, and four trebles cast out of the re=
maining metal to make the chime at All Hallows.

As to St Dunstan's, I do have something of an interest in these, and have p=
rovided much of the information on that particular page. I do welcome John'=
s reminiscences; not least about "paying our respects" and refreshing ourse=
lves at "The Golden Egg". The enhanced recording of course barely does TGS =
justice, but it does capture something of the ethereal quality of what RHD =
and I described as "The last word in every respect".=20=20=20

DLC
----- Original Message -----=20