Re (3): [Bell Historians] Bootle (Everton) and Fenham

Paul Marshall paul&jean at p...
Sun Oct 3 12:30:36 BST 2004

In message <cjh3ir+ue3v at eGroups.com>, Michael Wilby
<michael at i...> writes
>RO
>> It is equally as much of a nonsense to decribe a ring as being
>in 'X'
>> International Pitch when they are half a semitone flat or sharp of
>> that note. The obvious thing would be to dispense with the
>> references to pitch in Dove and other publications altogether, but
>> the record gathering anoraks would hate that!
>
>"Accurate" weights are usually recorded to the nearest lb, so why not
>record pitch to the nearest semitone? That's the "obvious" thing to
>do, surely..?

I don't think it would be a good idea to fill Dove with a load of
information that is of little interest to the average bell ringer who
uses it to organise outings and record their grabs. I believe that the
best medium to store detailed information would be a web based resource.

This could store as much information as is available for each ring of
bells (or significant individual bell) (such as founder, founding date,
date(s) of rehanging / augmentations, sources of info, weights, pitch of
each bell (in as much detail as available), inscriptions, canons, photos
and sketches, etc.) and updated as more information is forthcoming or
details change or are corrected.

It could, of course, also store more than the current info and should,
in my opinion, store historic information of lost rings of bells, old
bells and bell frames, photos and other records of bells before being
recast or de-canoned etc.

It would only work if someone, or a group of people, were prepared to
start it up and maintain it.

I apologise if this has been brought up before.

Paul Marshall