Bell weights - Bath, S. M w P

Richard Offen richard at s...
Tue Oct 5 09:50:12 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Keltek Trust" <bells at k...>
wrote:
> The assumption we made at the time was that the weights given by
Whitechapel were more accurate than the contractor. However we had no
way of checking this.
> I won't name the contractor, but suffice to say it was an
established bell-hanging company in the Midlands.

> The point is we take weights as being accurate but they are only as
accurate as the scales being used. Should one quote weights to the
nearest pound when the scale accuarcy is to several pounds?

> Dave

One assumes that at establishments like Taylor's and Whitechapel the
Weights and Measures man comes to check the scales occasionally ...or
is that yet another institution that has been swept away in the name
of progress?!