Temperaments and bell weights

nigelsdtaylor nigeltaylor at k...
Wed Oct 6 13:42:53 BST 2004

We do inform customers in the specification that we use "unequal
temperament". At kettering, I made a point of mentioning the specific
tuning used. If there is a request for a specific tuning (and there
have been two within the last three months) I will honour the
request, providing it is nothing outrageous such as the Ab scale of
1/3rd comma mean-tone! Of course, many ringers are not at all
interested in what temperament is used, providing the bells sound in
tune without being bland.
In tuning old rings, when I have decided how much I am lowering the
key-note, I calculate the "A" value as a matter of course, I do
usually use recognised pitch standards such as A=454, A=450, A=444,
A=440, A=435, A=431. However, when there is a listed bell (or bells)
which are to remain untuned, the pitch standard is predetermined.

Regarding bell weights,our floor-pan weighing scales are checked
every six months and are very accurate; significantly more than crane
scales generally are.
Nigel taylor