[Bell Historians] Re: Gillett & Johnston's 'successors'

Richard Offen richard at s...
Mon Oct 18 09:37:23 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dcawley at w...>
wrote:
> Going right back to the events of 1955-57, if JH is still awake, he
should turn up the RW of May 9th 2003 with an article by ADH and a
letter from myself explaining what happened then both in bell casting
and artefacts at the Loughborough end. As for M&S, they acquired an
excellent tuning machine - which I think had previously been at
Warner's before G&J obtained it. And they also obtained a very good
bell tuner in the person of the late Wally Spraget.

I don't think that the tuning machine now at Whitechapel was
originally a Warner one, but I might be wrong. It was the big one,
used to tune bells like the Riverside Bourdon, that came from Warners
and was known as "Warner's White Elephant".