Cyril Wratten

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Thu Oct 28 02:01:03 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

Very sorry to learn of Cyril's death. He was a first rate ringing historian=
, and had the Central Council not consumed so much of his energy for many y=
ears - their gain, but undoubtedly our loss! - he would doubtless have writ=
ten a great deal more. I owed him a great deal, as it was he who encouraged=
me to delve into eighteenth and nineteenth century newspapers for ringing =
reports in my student days and sparked my interest in research. He was also=
unfailingly generous in sharing his information and answering enquiries.

It is so sad that illness prevented him from completing the many projects h=
e began, and that he and Margery had such a brief opportunity to enjoy his =
retirement. A fine ringer, a good man, an authority on ringing history and =
a dedicated servant of the exercise - his memory will live on.

CP